Monday, April 8, 2013

I love General Conference

Man, I can't remember a time that I have walked away from General Conference and not been spiritually fed, but this one was packed full of warnings and direction. I think I was over fed, :)



But there was a time when I wasn't so happy to see General Conference. I thought about this before Conference this year asking myself why it took me so long to look forward to these special occasions. I realized two reasons.

One was we didn't have a way to watch General Conference from home so we had to get dress in Sunday clothing for two days. It wasn't so much a problem for me to wear those clothes as it was to have to dress small children and take them back and forth for two sessions a day and to keep them clean and occupied between sessions. This was a pain for me so we didn't always attend every session.

The other reason was I couldn't listen to the speakers because the small children weren't cooperating with me. They wouldn't sit still for that long, tire easy and get fussy. That meant I had to take them out of the chapel and into a room full of parents with the same dilemma. It meant I couldn't hear what was being said and I felt like we should have just stayed at home.



But...now my children are older and I love watching conference. So I promise you young parents that the day will come that can sit and listen to Conference again. You will be able to get through this. The thing I learned from it was to be patient, and you will be blessed. Like Sunday meetings, if you attend you will be blessed. The Lord knows you tried and are doing the right thing so the blessing will come and you feel the Spirit in your life.

I am grateful that we did go because I do know that those days were blessed days with my family. By going every six months I was teaching my children that this is something we must do. That we would receive blessings as we do so and we would learn something from attending. And that the Lord knew we were there and being obedient.



I love General Conference and I do look forward to it and the spiritual feast I get when I do. I love watching it at home and talking with my family afterwards about what we learned from the talks. My family knows that this is what we do because we have always done it.


1 comment:

  1. I love Conference! This year was no exception. They were all phenomenal. Luckily we receive the Ensign magazine to help the feast to continue until October!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover