Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Worn Out

Sorry everyone, for being late on my post. This past week my daughter and her husband went out of town for a couple of days and I had the privilege of caring for my two grandsons, one being 2 years old and the other 6 months.



I have been blessed with five wonderful children of my own and have handled raising them just fine; but by the end of this weekend, taking care of my grandsons, I found myself totally exhausted. My hair looked wild and out of control, no makeup, and clothes dirty from misc children things (throw up, dirt from the play ground, baby slobber, etc).

I love my grandchildren with all my heart and enjoy spending lots of time with them but I think I have forgotten how hard it was to take care of little ones. God, in his infinite wisdom, knew that having children were for the young because us older women just can't keep up as well.



Personally, I think some of it has to do with the fact that as a mom you are in your children's daily life and you don't realize how much you do because you just do it, every day. But once your children are grown and you don't have little ones to take care of and then you are thrown back into the ring with them, well, its a real wake up call to how much work goes into their daily needs. Who ever said that a stay at home mom wasn't a job was definitely not a mom.

Ladies, we older women need to remember what it was liking taking care of our children and offer some help from time to time to the younger moms who can get quite overwhelmed with the awesome responsibility of raising children. We could offer to babysit a couple of hours, take food for dinner, do some laundry or housekeeping, or maybe even take time to just sit and talk (meaning let them talk, you listen).



I know I am still grateful for those wonderful ladies who helped me out when I was a young mom trying to balance life. Their kindness was so welcome. Who knows maybe someday they can return the favor when you are too old to do some simple things around the house or need  transportation to a doctors appointment.

Doing good for one another is the way our Savior showed us in His wonderful example while here on earth. I want to be more like him and this can be a way for me to reach that goal.

1 comment:

  1. I'm sure that your daughter appreciated your help! Us with young children need to appreciate the blessings from those who are wiser will bring.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover