Sunday, November 4, 2012

New Family Search Family Tree

I would like to put in a plug for the new Family Search website. One of my few passions is family history work. I can get so addicted to the work. I often do not want to start it because I know I won't want to stop it.

https://familysearch.org/

Yesterday, I went to my first family history conference, and I loved it!!! I learned so many things that were very helpful to my research. One of the things I learned was about the new Family Search program that is suppose to link every one's family into one big tree. I thought that was so cool.

One speaker told a story that proves how we are all related closer than we know. He said that 150 people at his work turned in several generations of genealogy to technician to analyze. He found that 148 of those people were related somehow within 9 generation. That was amazing. The other 2 were 2nd cousins and didn't know it. I thought that was awesome.



The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints had two websites, familysearch.org and new.familysearch.org. The later was for members of this church. But now both have been combined into one. Anyone in the world will be able to get the same info and there is more info than Ancestry.com has, plus some clearer pictures.

In order to access and enter info from your genealogy you will have to set up an account then start adding your info under the tree tab, don't worry about the members of your family still living because that info won't be available for other to see, just you. There is so much information I would love to share with you about the new program but you will have to go and see for yourself. It is worth the time to read and see.

I think they said the tree would be available to everyone by next summer. But if you already have a Family Search account and you are LDS you can access it now and get started. I think they said you have to create a GED Com file in order to transfer info from other places, not sure about that one.

Anyway, I just wanted to share that little bit of info with you. Just remember that the person standing next to you in the grocery store or the rude driver who cut you off could be a distant cousin, so be nice.

1 comment:

  1. How exciting! My husband and mother-in-law will love this!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover