Thursday, October 11, 2012

When Opportunities Arise

So back a couple of years ago my daughter and my son-in-law gave me a surprise visit; they lived out of state in Utah. While we were visiting in the lobby of my work place another employee came by. I introduced my family to her and she said she lived in Utah once, so my return missionary son-in-law asks her if she is a Mormon. She replied only when she was little. After she left he turned to me and said there is your missionary opportunity.

A few months ago I received a quick phone call from her saying that I was the only person she could think of to share this exciting find that she had gotten involved in...Genealogy. She started sharing her stories of what she found and how far back she had gone, I informed her that I was the Family History Consultant at church so I could be of some help to her.



Just this week she called me again and shared some more news about a distant family member that she did not know, who she was able to contact her regarding a great-great grandparent. I was so excited for her. So we made plans to have lunch this month and see what all she has discovered since we last talked.

I am not a good missionary. I don't start conversations with people about the gospel but I have no problem discussing the gospel with people who ask questions and really want to know what we believe. I know a lot about the gospel and can probably answer just about any question. I have a strong testimony of the true Gospel of Jesus Christ but I have a hard time starting the discussions.

Now I have this opportunity to share the gospel through this love of genealogy that we both have, to help this wonderful daughter of God restore what she once had as a child. But I don't know how to make it happen. She has been placed in my path and I can't walk away without giving her something to think about.



As a righteous woman it is my responsibility to share what I know with people. The first thing I think I have to do is take this in prayer to my Heavenly Father and ask for direction because He knows her and what curiosities she might have. Next, I will probably try to share as much information as I can while we talk about the importance of family history. Perhaps this will be a start, all I know is here is an opportunity and I will have to answer for it if I don't act upon it.

She may not want to hear anything I have to say except for the genealogy tips and I will honor her wishes if that is the case but I will never know if I don't try.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover