Sunday, October 14, 2012

Doing Good Daily

My church ward has a sign that says the "simple six things we should be doing daily". One of those things are to do a good deed daily for someone else. And then in General Conference we heard several talks that revolved around doing good for others. Needless to say I have been thinking a lot about service.



So I gave it a try last week and here is what I did:

Monday - Called my in-laws to see how my father-in-law was doing after surgery
Tuesday - Picked up my daughter from her meeting when she could have taken the taxi home
Wednesday - Helped some people with their genealogy research
Thursday - Took a meal to a sister from church who broke her arm
Friday - Took a 3 hour trip to take an extra vehicle to my daughter
Saturday - Joked with a cashier at the grocery store
Sunday - Listened for 3 hours while an elderly gentleman talked and talked about his life

Service isn't just about the big stuff, it's just...doing something good for someone when they need it.

In the Book of Mormon, Alma 37:6-7 says," . . . behold I say unto you, that by small and simple things are great things brought to pass...".



I don't know what great things have been brought to pass with my small acts of good deeds this past week but I know how I feel. I find myself opening my eyes a little more by seeking what good I can do for others. I am more aware of the people around me and their needs. I have to admit some days I had to really think about what I did good and was pleased that some things I did, that were not listed, I did just because it felt like the right thing to do.

Our Savior tells us over and over again that we need to take care of one another and when we do we will receive great blessings in our lives. I think one of those great blessings is in our health and the way we feel about life. It feels good to do good.



I have read some research that has been done on this and it says that when people do acts of service it does something good for their health (see the link below). We can all use a little lift in our health, right?

www.webmd.com/balance/features/science-good-deeds

I have been thinking very seriously about adding something new to my blog by asking you to share your acts of service with me and my readers. But I'm not sure how to do this yet. I will let you know in the near future when I get my thoughts together on how to make this work.

But until then I would love to hear about some of your random acts of kindness that you have shared with others or that others have shared with you. I think we really could see miracles happen if everyone started making that commitment to serve others daily.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover