Friday, October 18, 2013

What to Do with Rice!

When I was a young child I remember the one thing for dinner was some kind of potatoes; mashed, baked, roasted, etc. When I married into a Latin family I learned that rice was a part of the main dish. As a kid rice was a treat but as an adult rice became the main stay of our meal.

I like to bake, but I have never been a good cook, or should I say a creative cook. If you asked me how I would've served rice with a meal, it would have been as a side. But after years of eating with my in-laws I now see the wisdom in rice as a food that can be used to make a meal to feed many.

Rice can go along way to feed many mouths. I never realized how much more your meal can feed by adding rice as a main course; see some examples below.

Eggs over Rice

Rice and Beans


Beef Stew and Rice


Crock Pot Chicken over Rice



SOS over Rice



You can use your imagination and come up with much more uses for rice.

They say brown rice is better for you than white rice, I never liked the taste of brown so I really never used it but my friend, Ashley, said that you could cook the brown rice in chicken broth and it will give it a better flavor. I'll have to try it sometime.

Rice is a good items to store for food storage because it goes along way and has a long shelf life, like 20+ years, if stored properly.

Best way to store rice


Who else has some rice ideas whether its brown or white? We'd love to hear what you do to spice up rice.

Here is one way you can use rice as a non food item.I have heard of using rice in bags to make heating pads. I found this Pinterest page that had some real cute ideas to make these bags.

Fun Rice Packs

Here is more on rice bags.

Rice bags

What about crafts, I probably wouldn't waste food on crafts but you might like this idea for kids if you are trying to find an activity to entertain the kids.

U tube colored rice activity

What else can do you do with rice? Share with us!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover