Sunday, November 17, 2013

Obituary Data Full of Treasured Information

It's always sad when someone dies. My uncle just past away last week, its sad that we will not see him here in this world again. I pray for his family to find God's peace at this time. I know he is at peace and was ready to get on with his real life beyond this one.



One of my cousins posted a link to the funeral home webpage where his obit was placed. Wow, there was so much information about his relatives. I was amazed at the data that some family genealogist  in the future would greatly treasure.

Obituaries normally contain the full name and birth/death info as well as immediate family names and connections. This is a treasure when you are trying to find this kind of information on your ancestry.



For instance, a spouse whether living or dead is listed, and sometimes how long they had been married will be included. Children's names as well as their spouses name could be listed. You can usually find parents and the siblings of the deceased, with married names of sisters. The amount of  grandkids and great grandkids, etc, are listed but usually names aren't included.

And sometimes, they even include a bit of a story about the person like maybe they served in the military, or where they graduated, or worked, etc.



Obits are a treasure full of information. When my oldest daughter passed away I remember someone asking me about placing an obituary for her, but I don't remember it having a lot of information except a few family members names. This is something to think about in the future. What information do you think will be valuable to your posterity?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover