Sunday, October 13, 2013

Dead People Hunting Time Again

October is time for me to get busy with my favorite past time, Dead People Hunting. The weather is starting to cool down and the stores are filling up the shelves with holiday items. This is when I like to go to graveyards and search for ancestors.



No, I don't usually find them hanging out there but I do find it a challenge to search for their grave sites. It's actually quite peaceful when you go and humbling when you find the name of someone who is your bloodline. I remember when I went with my mother to Kentucky to do some research there and we came to the headstones of my great grandparents and great-great grandparents. When I saw their name they became real to me. I realized that they had lived here in this town once. They probably walked on this land from time to time. It was an eye opener for me that these people were not just names on my paperwork but they were my family.


After that I knew I wanted to know more about who they were and what their lives were like. I was able to find some pictures and stories using different sources. Here are a few places you can go to help find your ancestors.


Oh, I must warn you that this stuff is addictive.



Ancestry.com
This one costs but promises to have a lot of sources in finding your ancestry. I can vouch for that because it was the number one place I always looked and spent hours looking.
Familysearch.org
This one is free and has tons of stuff available to help in your research. They have upgraded the website and are constantly making it better. This is one place where I find tons of source documents on my ancestors. And this one is constantly acquiring more source documents from many other places around the world.

Other helpful websites
I just found this website which lists several places you can look to find information on your ancestors. I hope its helpful.

The key is to get started and to not give up. There will be times you will run into a wall, but find a way around it and keep the hunt going. I promise that you will find it rewarding.






No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover