Sunday, December 23, 2012

Merry Christmas My Friends

This morning as I was driving to church I noticed a clash of jewelry. I wanted to wear my silver "mom" necklace that had my children's birthstones in it but I put on a sweater, (yes, it was cold this morning in central Florida), that had a gold pin of the manager scene. When I realized the clash of silver and gold, (by the way who said we can't wear the two together?), anyway, I took the pin off my sweater because I wanted to wear my mom necklace today. As I was putting the pin in the tray in my car a thought came to my mind, "was I putting Jesus after my family"?



The scriptures tell us that we should put Him first before everything, including our family. Some people have a hard time with that. I know at one point in my life I did. How can I put my family behind God. God could take care of himself, my family needed me, so I had a hard time with that thought; God first, then spouse, then children, extended family, church, etc. in that order. I had thought the same about my husband, he could take care of himself but my children needed me to take care of them.

As I studied this out in my mind and read the scriptures I learned that if we put God first then all other blessings would follow. When I began to think of God first I could see the blessings in my family, in myself, in the way I did my callings and my work. I could see a change in me because I was doing it right. I felt the peace in knowing that God was pleased that I would put him first in all things. It wasn't always easy to do but I knew everything would turn out alright if I just followed that principle.



An example: I really didn't want my husband to be gone long hours leaving me to care for my young children alone. But once I let that go, knowing he was doing God's work, or providing for his family, then I saw great blessings between us. I started showing him how much I appreciated his commitment to God and his responsibility to our family. He in turn showed me the love that I needed and made sure I got some "me" time, as well as "me and him" time.

 I got out of the car this morning and took a few steps toward the door of the church, I stopped then turned back to my car and grabbed my gold manger pin. I placed it back on my sweater and never thought anything of the clash of silver and gold the rest of the day. Even though the difference of color in jewelry is small thing it reminded me of my promise to God that I would always try to put him first in my life. I renewed that commitment today as a gift to my Savior, Jesus Christ.



I wish you all a Merry Christmas and ask that you too will give the gift to our Savior that you will always put Him first. May God watch over you this holiday season and bring great blessing this next new year.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover