Thursday, December 6, 2012

My Christmas Wreath

OK, so I made my new wreath for Christmas. I have always loved crafts but raising 4 kids has made it hard to find the time to do the things I love, not saying I didn't love raising my kids cause I did and still do. But finding a few minutes for me to do something that I like to do was near impossible.

My passions are reading, crafts and genealogy (family is a given). Once my kids are all living their own lives, with their own families, then I can spend my days attending to my passions, maybe.

Anyway, here is a snap shot of my new wreath. How do you like it?



If you like it, I have included the "how-to" so you can give it a try. It's inexpensive, I spent less than $10, and it could even be a gift for someone if you want to share. I hope you have as much fun as I did in making this cute and easy craft.

1 Styrofoam wreath (I used the green one and ended up with a lot of green stuff all over me, but it does wipe off)
1 skein of red yarn
1 skein of green yarn
1 skein of white yarn
1 flower of choice
3 jingle bells

I marked the wreath in two halves. I estimated and marked 3 -1/3 sections on the top half and started wrapping which ever color I wanted to start with, I started with white. Because the inside is smaller than the outside I had to space the yarn, wrapping it around until I came to the end of the 1/3 mark then I back tracked filling in the gaps by laying the yarn side by side. I have to admit it took me about 4 tries before I figured out how to get it started (could be why I had all the green stuff on me, lol).

After I finished that color, I went on to the next, and then the next, then repeated on the bottom half in the same color pattern. After I finish a color I tied it off in the back or you can connect it to the next color. I found a white poinsettia flower with a clip on it and just clipped it where I thought it would look nice. I tied on my bells at the bottom, when we open and close the door we can hear them ring, awww, the sounds of Christmas.

You can add what ever you like, I have added a few other designs that others have done to help with some ideas. .

 Use a bright wreath that won't dry out like needly pine. Wrap yarn in alternating hues around a Styrofoam wreath form, tying the ends when you switch colors. Add a cluster of jingle bells using silver craft wire. The bells will jingle when the door opens and shuts.

 You can make this the same way, just add you little items as you like or even choose a different size wreath.


 I also added a couple other wreaths that I thought were cute.


 Glue candy cane pairs together, back to back (with the curve facing outward). Tie a piece of ribbon to hold them together. Repeat 11 times.Lay out candy cane pieces & glue tips together creating a heart shape.To secure candy canes together, dab E6000 on all points. Let dry for a couple of hours or overnight.Use leftover ribbon to hang the wreath. E6000 is a strong adhesive.



http://adiamondinthestuff.blogspot.com/2011/12/framed-christmas-wreath.html
You can copy and paste this link and it will take you to the web page where she tells her story about making this wreath.

Well, I hope you like my wreath, if not, just say something like "oh, that's nice" and move on, lol. I think this part of the blog just might be fun. Good luck, and enjoy.




2 comments:

  1. I love it! Yarn wreaths are so simple, yet time consuming! Just put on a chick flick and you're good to go. It looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, that's what I did, I put on the Walton's Homecoming and worked on it. It helped put me in the holiday spirit.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover