Sunday, December 30, 2012

Keeping the Sabbath Day Holy

I love my in-laws. Over the years they have learned that we don't break the Sabbath Days by attending big family parties on Sundays. We live in Florida, so do they, and most family parties consists of swimming activities for the kids. They were pretty bothered when we went to a family party on a Sunday and our kids were not allowed to swim, so they started changing parties to Saturday for the kids sake.



Many people think that this is extreme but we wanted to teach our children that God came first and if He said to keep the Sabbath Day holy, then we do it. We told them that family time is a good thing on the Sabbath but we have to restrain from activities that keep us from focusing on God and His work.

So for many years we have been able to attend activities and do fun things because they moved them to Saturday for us, (I do love them). However, my sister-in-law has scheduled her wedding for December 30, a Sunday, not sure why, but it is her wedding choice. So how do we attend this and not feel like we are breaking the Sabbath?



Being with family and celebrating this joyous occasion is good but one thing we do in not breaking the Sabbath is to not shop, or make anyone do any work for our benefit, unless its an emergency then we have no choice. So if we go to this wedding we will be making the servers and staff work. We can't not go, she spent a lot of time with us as a child, she's like one of my own children.

I imagine that God does understand these things, at least I hope he does, but how should I get past the feelings of disobedience to this commandment.

I talked with my daughter, asking her these questions. Her answer is one I feel is helpful, (when did she become so wise?). God knows your heart and desire to be obedient but sometimes there are situations that dictate the opposite view. She used the example of having to go to the store for medicine because there is a need and you ran out of your supply. You don't want to do it but it is a necessary evil, so to speak?


I feel better about that, it makes sense. God knows me and he knows my desire to serve Him. If these things occur I believe he would expect me to attend and be with family at this time. I hope this doesn't appear as if I am justifying breaking the Sabbath. I work very hard to be sure we honor it in our household but there are times that are out of our control and we have to do the best that we can. I think we just have to spend the rest of the day doing God's work. Besides, there is nothing wrong with sharing the Gospel of Jesus Christ at the reception, right?


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover