Tuesday, January 15, 2013

New Challenge for Food Storage

Sooo, how did you do last month? Were you able to get some items for your food storage? Did my challenge help in anyway?

I did it and was so happy I did. There have been many times that we have had to pull some items from our food storage because of an extra unexpected expense taking our food money. So it was nice to be able to replenish it with some items that we would use. I stayed in my budget of $50 so now I am ready to try and add some more.

Last week I talked about water storage so this week I would like to make one of the challenges water. Try and get a 2 week supply for every member of your family, including pets. If its not possible then get what you can.

I would also like to make a couple more challenges that would be good items to store.

Staple - 2 week supply of water per person in family
Non-staple - deodorant for 3 month
Tasty food - case of chicken noodle soup

Last week I blogged about water so refer to last weeks post on how to store water.





For my family, we each have our own deodorant. I have two kids who earn their own money so they have to purchase their own personal items. That means that I only have to buy 3 for my youngest son and 3 for me to meet our 3 month supply. Deodorant does not have a shelf life but I usually rotate it out annually and replenish as if I was buying for the current month.


Chicken Noodle soup is tasty and most everyone likes it. It is easy to store and its life span is around 1-2 years but check the cans for expiration dates. You can tell if something is bad so don't eat it. Buying a case shouldn't be too costly.


These items should be easy to store and acquire. But as always get only what you can afford. Another option can be to make homemade soup and can it. The cost can be a little more affordable in the long run. Anyway, good luck on this new challenge.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover