Thursday, January 17, 2013

Square Foot Gardening

Only once in my life have I ever had a garden and it was small but successful. I was so proud of myself. I loved eating the produce it gave me. Some how the vegies seem to taste better, try to figure that one out. Anyway, I am ready to try it again so I have been doing some research on the best way to garden for my family, who, by the way, doesn't like vegetables (but I do).

I remember reading a book years ago about square foot gardening. It was actually for kids but it works for small gardens. It seemed logical and I think that is the direction I want to go this time. It doesn't require a lot of work like a larger garden would be so I am there with that.



There are all kinds of books and websites that can help you learn how to do this but I am going to share just a few tips that I have learned about it.

1) Find a nice sunny spot for your garden.

2) Build a box out of 2X6 or 2X8 wood making a 4 foot square.

3) Add in good soil for growing vegetables. Since I live in Florida sand is not a good option so we have to find dirt making sure it's the right kind for growing. Here are some suggestions I found on the Internet:

Loam - holds nutrients and drains well, it's the best choice, Clay- holds nutrients and drains slow but has some issues with oxygen for roots, Silt - holds nutrients and drains slow like clay. So do the research for the best top soil in your area. Top soil should be around 2 -12 inches thick so the vegies can get the nutrients it needs from the top soil.

4) Use string or small pieces of wood to divide your garden into 12 inch squares. There should be 16 of them.

5) Plan your garden and what you want to grow. Making a plan is very wise, you don't want to over crowd your garden either. Check to see how different vegetables do in your area and when it is best to plant. Remember to plant only the things you will eat.



And watch out for those pesty things that want to eat your garden produce, too.  I heard adding Marigolds can help with the bugs, not sure if that's correct but it makes your garden pretty. Add a fake cat or scarecrow might help with keeping birds and squirrels out.

In the book I read years ago it suggested growing in each square only the vegies you would eat in one week then plant the next square with the same vegies the following week and so on so you have a week supply of vegies for several months. I thought that was an interesting way to do it but I'm not sure I will do it that way because I have different plans.



I have also been reading a new book called, "The Forgotten Skills of Self-Sufficiency Used by the Mormon Pioneers" by Caleb Wornock. I'm sure they knew a lot about gardening. He talks about seed saving for the next time you make a garden. He says that the seeds you buy in the store today are not really good for seed saving. He suggested something called Heirloom Seeds. I am going to give them a try this year. You can find several websites that sell them online.

I am getting a little excited about this. I am the kind of person who is constantly on the go but I think this kind of garden will prove successful even with my busy schedule. Good luck on your garden, and I would love to hear about any experiences you have had with gardening in the past.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover