Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Water Storage

I have to apologize for not starting the year out right. I missed blogging all last week but I do have an excuse, no brain. Every time I sat down to post on my blog my brain wouldn't function. That is because my two sweet grandsons came to see me and gave me their colds, plus we sat out in cold weather for a wedding. So with the combination of a cold and medication I was left without a brain.

I wrote and wrote but nothing made sense, a lot like my dreams, so I just gave up and decided to try again this week. So lets see how I am doing this week.

I wanted to talk about water storage because that is something we don't hear a lot about in food storage. It is on the list of items to store but for me it was never something I worked on much. So I did some research and my finding are listed below.

 You can pick up bottled water in cases and store what you need, remember that its 14 gallons for a 2 week supply as suggested by the experts. I work for Coca-Cola so I buy Dasani water and store it with my food storage, but I rotate it out because there are expiration dates on the water bottles. They are stored away from direct light, that's the rule for any see through bottle.

You can use soda bottles, milk jugs, or even glass bottles for short time storage. Sometimes the jugs leak, I bought some jugs of water for our pets, 3 to a case, and after a year one bottle started to leak. So watch out for that kind of thing, also don't forget about storing water and supplies for pets.




I store the Dasani for drinking water but then I have to think about storage for cooking and cleaning as well. I have heard that rain barrels are a good way to catch the rain and store water for purposes other than drinking. I have provided a couple of how to pages about water storage. I hope they help. But don't just do what they say , do the research to avoid health issues.

http://www.wikihow.com/Store-Water-Long-Term

http://www.offthegridnews.com/2011/02/13/water-water-everywhere-long-term-water-storage/

http://www.optimumpreparedness.com/long_term_water_storage_article.html

There are also water purification tablets that can help or even special bottles that purifies water.  And you could also invest in water purification systems. But don't go into debt for these things, start out small and build up your supply.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover