Sunday, October 27, 2013

Tools for Genealogists

Hello There!

When I blog about genealogy, I write it more for the beginners. I'm sure there are lots of people out there who know about researching your family history better than I do so I think these Sunday posts are more for the new guys but any one can read it and I would love some input that will be helpful to the beginners, and me.



When I go to do family history research whether it be out of town or at the local genealogy library, I like to carry certain tools with me that might be helpful in this process. Here is a list of things I like to take with me.

1) a big bag to carry everything in
2) pencils, pens, highlighters
3) pencil sharpener
4) notebook or folder to hold my papers in
5) camera
6) handheld/wand scanner
7) SD cards
8) batteries for the camera and scanner
9) names of people I am searching for
10) water/quiet snacks
11) small stapler

These are the tools that I like to take with me so if I am somewhere and need these items I don't have to keep asking to borrow them from someone else. It is good to be prepared but as you go along you will find what things are most common for your use in research.



Most everything is low cost (under $20). The only things that might cost a little are the camera and scanner. You don't have to buy an expensive camera, in fact, I would never take anything of great value with me because you don't want someone else picking it up as theirs by mistake.

You can usually find a digital camera for around $100 or less, shop around. Be sure it can hold a SD card so you can store your photos on them.



I have wanted a desktop scanner for quite awhile but I don't want to pay the price they charge for one. I was able to find a handheld/wand scanner for around $100. Someone gave me a gift card for Christmas and that was what I bought with it. It is an awesome tool.


You can find most everything in a n office supply story or Best Buy, Walmart, or some place like this. Anyway, these are a few of my tools. Again, you will find over time what tools you will need that will be  most helpful in your research for your ancestry. Happy Hunting!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover