Sunday, October 6, 2013

Lessons I Learned from the Saturday Sessions of General Conference

I REALLY LOVE GENERAL CONFERENCE (exclamation point)!!!



Every talk had something for me in it, that is amazing. How do they know what I need to hear?!

I would like to focus on a couple of points that hit home to me;

Elder Robert D Hales spoke about how we need General Conference, this I know, because we can receive inspired messages that will help us over the next 6 months until the next conference. He promised that if we listened to the words spoken at this conference that we would receive answers to our prayers and concerns. I had thought of 3 questions before conference began and I am surprised and pleased to say that I have already received answers to all 3 questions, amazing!

Elder Boyd K. Packer spoke about the scriptures being the place where we find peace and protection from the perils of the world. I found this a great help due to all the evil that is surrounding our families daily. A simply thing like reading as a family can help us to be protected from the worldly influence our poor children have to face daily. One of my thoughts was about being prepared for what is to come, he said the answers were in the scriptures. I know this, but I always need to be reminded to look there.



Elder D. Todd Christofferson spoke about women and how awesome we are, :), well something like that. He actually spoke about the beauty of womanhood and how we have to protect it from the influences of confused people who try to make us equal to men on a man's level, when we should be equal to men on a woman's level. I loved that he spoke about these things. Some women don't realize that we have a great influence for good by using the tools the Lord gave us. But it is our relationship with God that really keeps us on track to standing as righteous women daily.

And, the last one I want to talk about is from Elder Jeffrey R. Holland. He spoke about the reality of mental illness. He spoke about things that I have always thought about depression. I think most depression is something we have control over, it may not be easy but we can fight against it; I understand some can not. He did say that it was a real thing. He spoke about a time he felt it, and it reminded me of a time I felt it. I was in my late 30's and just started to feel low over my life and the darkness just started to drag me down, I didn't want to do anything but curl up on the couch and sleep. I'm a thinker and all I could do was dwell on the problems I was experiencing at the time. I was a single mom with 3 kids still at home ranging from 3-13. I knew they needed me because we had no family near us. So I prayed for strength to get out of that depression and made myself get back into life. It took a good 2 weeks before I was myself again but it was real. I knew I never wanted to feel it again, any time I recognized that feeling creeping in I would focus on the Savior and my family; it worked.



There were so many more wonderful talks, I wish I had time to talk about all of them but these are the ones that really hit home. I hope you have enjoyed conference so far and will continue to gain spiritual instruction  through the rest of the weekend. Don't forget to ponder the things you have learned, that's how we keep them in our hearts.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover